Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Screenwriting books I've read

I have read a lot of books about writing, specifically screenwriting so I could learn the craft. These are some books that I found about writing that aren't on my college textbook reading list.

These are a couple books that I own:

The Writer's Block by Jason Rekulak. This is a quirky book about how to fight writer's block. The book is like a block. Each page is about an author and their tips, also a picture to give you a jump off point, or an idea like: "Write a story where a mother is teaching their child a life lesson." It's a good book, I bought it back in 2004.

Screenwriting for Dummies by Laura Schellhardt. I bought this book at the end of 2007. I mainly skimmed it because I was in school, working at my job, and looking for an office job. I then read it from cover to cover in 2009 after I met with the producer John Kerr. This is a really informative book about how a screenwriter should construct a script.

Books I checked out from the library:

Story by Robert McKee. The producer John Kerr recommended I read this book. McKee's name has been on a lot of screenwriting websites. The most important lesson is: "When you put your characters under pressure, the choices they make reveal character." When characters are under pressure, there is a dramatic situation and problem to solve, so it makes the story interesting. I read this in 2010.

Write from Life: Turning your experiences into compelling stories by Meg Files. It was a good book. It wasn't about screenwriting, but it's about writing in general. I read this in 2010.

Writing your Screenplay by Lisa Dethridge. It was a good book. It's been a couple years since I read it though, and I can't really remember what stood out for me the most. I read this in 2010.

Write Screenplays that Sell: The Ackerman Way by Hal Ackerman. I remember him saying to stop procrastinating and in big font said: "Write." I read this in 2010.

Screenwriting is Storytelling by Kate Wright. I read this in 2005. This is probably the first screenwriting book I ever read. I took extensive notes from it in my notebook that I still have.

No comments:

Post a Comment