Thursday, July 7, 2011

How long did it take to write The Vertex Fighter?

I thought up the idea of this script back in 2006 and I wrote some pages about a girl being a fighter. After awhile I hit writer's block, so I switched it to a guy. Afterwards, I got so much more out of it. Then I went into the Professional Writing program and studied writing.

Then in December 2007, I spoke with the screenwriter Geo Takach. I should add him to my "Thank You List." He then inspired me and I finished writing the rest of The Fighter (what it was then called.) It was 24 pages.

I then started pitching the script in Jan. 2008 to all the production companies I Googled. I typed in "Edmonton TV production companies", then "Saskatchewan TV production companies" and then I pitched my script. I got rejected multiple times. Then in Oct. 2008, Glynis Whiting read my script and gave me 2 pages of notes and said I needed it to write 90 pages for it to be a complete script.

From Oct. 2008-Mar. 2009, I intensely wrote it and completed 90 pages. It took me 6 months of hard work for me to get the script to it's first draft. That draft is called "Draft 5." I had printed earlier drafts of it.

However, afterwards, I did have multiple edits and changes to the script from 2009-2011. I now have "Draft 11" which is the latest draft of the script. As I was pitching the script, I was also rewriting and editing it each time.

To answer the question, it took me 6 months to write the first draft and 2 yrs of rewriting and editing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment