Saturday, November 2, 2019

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines/ Shutter Island/ Abduction

Aug. 25, 2019 Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines: I saw this movie in Sept. 2014.  This movie came out in 2003.


"A cybernetic warrior from a post-apocalyptic future travels back in time to protect a 25-year old drifter and his future wife from a most advanced robotic assassin and to ensure they both survive a nuclear attack."


Why did you watch this?: It was an action movie.

Pros:

1. There was a good opening: "There is not fate, but what make for ourselves."

I have heard of this before and will put that in my inspirational quotes. 

John Connor (Nick Stahl) is a drifter and gets into a motorcycle accident.  He goes to a vet for help.  Kate Brewster (Claire Danes) works there and they get into a fight. They know each other.

T-X (Kristanna Loken) is the terminator assassin who is to kill John and Kate.

The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) comes to save John and Kate.  

There is a huge explosion.

2. There is lots of actions like explosions.  There is a car chase scene as the good guys are running away from T-X.

There are shoot outs like the one in the graveyard.

3. There is a surprise at Sarah Connor's grave.

Spoiler alert: There are bullets in the coffin.

4. There is lots of drama, conflict, and tension as John, Kate, and the Terminator have to fight and run to survive.  There is a big conflict of a nuclear attack.

Cons: None.

My opinion: It was good at best, and average at worst.  The only other Terminator movie I saw was Terminator: Salvation.  I wrote about it:


This movie came out in 2003, and I saw it in 2014.  There are some movies and TV shows that don't age well.  This movie doesn't seem dated.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0181852/?ref_=rvi_tt

Aug. 27, 2019 Shutter Island: I saw this movie in Jun. 2017.

"In 1954, a U.S. Marshal investigates the disappearance of a murderer, who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane."

Why did you watch this?: It sounded interesting

Pros:

1. The cast:

Leonardo DiCaprio as Teddy Daniels.

Mark Ruffalo as Chuck Aule.

Ben Kingsley as Dr. Cawley.

Michelle Williams as Dolores had a small part in it.

2. There is a crazy dream imagery.

3. There is good writing.  There is a great plot twist at the end.  I don't think anyone could have seen this one coming.

Cons: 

1. This is a mild con.  I was writing about this, and I thought this movie wasn't really that memorable.

My opinion: It was good at the best and average at worst.  There is a low chance I would watch this again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130884/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Sept. 2, 2019 Abduction: I saw this movie in Jan. 2016.

A thriller centered on a young man who sets out to uncover the truth about his life after finding his baby photo on a missing persons website. 

Why did you watch this?: It was an action movie.

Pros: 

1. It was a fun opening with Nathan (Taylor Lautner) and his friends.  They go to a party.

After the party, Nathan helps clean up.  That is so nice.

2. The cast:

Taylor Lautner as Nathan is average.

Lily Collins as Karen is average.

3. The storyline is pretty good.  I was reading a comment on imdb.com and it seems like they were trying to make a teen version of Jason Bourne.

An hr in, we learn why the bad guys want Nathan.  It's a good reason.

4. There was lots of action like the house explosion, running from bad guys, car chases, shoot outs, and fight scenes.

5. Good dialogue:

Doctor: You have been looking for answers your whole life, but you don't know what questions to ask.

My opinion: I'm going to put that in my inspirational quotes.  I like asking good questions that really makes you think about your life. 

Frank: Data, currency of this war is information.

Cons:

1. After I watched I thought: "It's a hot mess."  It was kind of all over the place.  Well, action movies are supposed to be running around and fighting with lots going on.

My opinion: I thought it was average.  If one of my friends wants to watch it, I will watch it again.  

You will like this movie, if you like:

1. The actors
2. Action movies
3. On-the-run movies
4. If you're a teen girl or a teen guy


https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1600195/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

My brother actually watched this movie on TV.  He thought it was average and won't watch it again.

Oct. 23, 2019: My friend Dan L. says my movie reviews are "on the surface."  I know my TV and movie reviews are not really that deep.  It's because I remember my friends Angela and Jessica saying this in like 2011-2012 about how they don't really read my emails/ blog posts and they skim and scan it really it fast.

If you don't put time and effort in reading it, I don't put much time and effort in writing it.

Oct. 27, 2019 Ghostwriter TV show reboot: This original TV show was in the early 90s on PBS.  I loved the show and it was educational teaching about writing and solving mysteries.  
"A group of teenagers solves local crimes, capers, and mysteries in their neighborhood, with the help of a ghost who can only communicate through writing and words."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108787/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

The New Ghostwriter Mysteries: I saw a few episodes of this.  In the original, the mysteries are 4- part episodes.  In this new one, it's 1 episode.  It lasted one season.  I didn't really like it.

"Two years after the original "Ghostwriter", a new group of human friends solve mysteries with the help of the friendly spectre that communicates through written word."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129259/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Here's the reboot:


"When a ghost haunts a neighborhood bookstore and starts releasing fictional characters into the real world, four kids must team up to solve an exciting mystery surrounding the ghost's unfinished business."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11004134/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

https://www.teenvogue.com/story/ghostwriter-reboot-apple-tv-plus-first-trailer

My week:

Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 Refuge Mission Foundation: I found this old pen that said "All Season Flowers" at 10542 96 St.  I then looked it up and the address leads to this charity to help homeless people.



Revisit my old jobs: A couple of weeks ago I passed my resume to this business.  It had bought out Call Centre #6 where I worked for a few months in 2012.  It turns out the boss C is still there.  I stopped working there because I got hired at the Office Job in 2013.

I also passed out my resume to the Fruit Place where I worked at for the holiday temp job in 2011.

Revisit my TV producers: I emailed a few producers about The Vertex Fighter.

Bon Voyage Luggage closing down: This store is closing down so buy your bags.  In the last couple of years, it moved to a smaller store, and then a smaller store.


https://www.wem.ca/directory/stores/bon-voyage

Co-workers: I also got to work with Ch in my 1st restaurant job.  I got to catch up with her and she has been watching some of her TV shows like Riverdale, Empire, and Power.

P from my 2nd restaurant job was let go, because we are over-staffed.  It's not really busy.  She has lived all around Canada and worked at Tim Horton's in nearly every part of Canada.  She can probably get a job at Tim Horton's after this.

Tues. Oct. 29, 2019 Job interviews: I went to work at my 2nd restaurant job.  I then went home for a bit.

I took a bus and then I took another bus.  After 15 min. on the 2nd bus, I asked the bus driver where to get off.  I had Google map the place, but he said I was on the wrong bus and should be going in another direction.  I waited for 5 min. and the bus came. 

It was 3:55pm and then I called the Call Centre and said I would be like 10-15 min. late.  I attended the interview and it was average.

I waited for the bus and it came in a few min.  I then got off and waited for another bus for a few min.  I rode the bus for 1hr 10 min and was reading the newspaper and ate my snack.

I went to the job fair for a restaurant and I had to write down my name and wait 45 min.  I was reading the Avenue magazine.  I was riding on the bus for 4 hrs.

Oct. 31, 2019 2 situations: Earlier this week I had today off, but the 2nd restaurant job needed me.

Situation 1: Work at the 2nd restaurant job.

Pro: I make money.

Con: I miss out the free Halloween lunch at my 1st restaurant job with burgers, salad, and candy.

Situation 2: Go to the Halloween lunch.

Pro: I get to eat free food.

Con: I miss out on working at the 2nd restaurant job and make money.

I went to work because I would rather make money.  I attended the lunch last year.  They hold these events occasionally.  At the beginning of summer, I attended the free pancake breakfast.

Moon box: I was listening to Brittany Carmichael and she mentions this product:

https://www.facebook.com/theworldbybrit/videos/2587353431351555/


Designed with self-care & self-love in mind, MoonBox is the only monthly subscription box that is truly aligned with the lunar cycle.  Arriving at the start of every month with a detailed astrological moon calendar, you'll receive everything you need to enjoy a bit of pampering, holistic healing, wellness practices, plus spiritual + beauty tools under the moon + stars.https://moonbox.co/

My opinion: If you like New Age and crystals, then you may like this.  I wouldn't subscribe and buy this for $22 a month, but you can buy old boxes for $15/hr or individual items.

'Speak English in Canada': B.C. woman's 'racist' tirade at Shoppers Drug Mart:

A video posted on Facebook shows a woman in Burnaby, B.C. yelling “extremely rude and racist” remarks at several local Shoppers Drug Mart employees.

“Shut up...speak English in Canada,” the woman is filmed saying, pointing her finger at the female employee behind the cash register.

The woman who went on the attack, with a young boy next to her, is then approached by a third Shoppers Drug Mart employee who seems to request that she talk to the store manager.

“If you want to talk to me you bring your manager here you idiot. Or go speak Chinese with your other staff and s--- talk me somewhere else,” the unidentified woman says in the video.

It is still not known how the altercation started on Monday but she continues to use profanity and demand that it is “rude” for the store staff to “speak Chinese” in front of her and requests that they “shut up” and “go somewhere else.”

“Saw this happen today at the Shoppers Drug Mart on Kingsway/McMurray,” the original caption on the video posted by Allen Tseng on Facebook reads.

“I just want to put this lady on blast for being extremely rude and racist. And hopefully show her there's consequences to this type of behaviour. It's sad to see this sort of racism still in 2019 and in Greater Vancouver, BC, and Canada.


My first wife was French Canadian ,I am not . When the family was together they all spoke French .I never complained and just put up with it . I was born in Holland and speak Dutch and a dialect . My brother and a friend came to visit one weekend . As usual the French relatives only spoke French and ignored us . So we decided to speak in our native tong . Hearing us speak our native language my sister in law decided that we were insulting her . She never realized that in over 5 years they had never thought about my feelings. 


2 days ago
I did an inventory once at a big grocery store in downtown Vancouver and saw several posters in staff lunchroom staying that “employees MUST speak English on the floor, otherwise could result in termination of employment”. So yeah these things do happen, but then again English and French are the languages in Canada.

My opinion: I saw the video when my grandma was watching the Chinese TV news.  

Jr. high flashback: This reminds me of when way back my sister S was in jr. high school and there are a lot of Asians.  She said she didn't like it when people spoke Chinese and then people don't know what they're saying.

Edgemont flashback: Does anyone remember this Canadian TV teen show?  In the pilot, I remember Gil saying the same thing my sister said.  This was back in 2001.


2013 flashback: In a meeting at my work at my 1st restaurant job, the boss Ad said that we can only speak in English.  That's good.  I have heard some workers speak in Mandarin and Filipinos speak in Tagalog.  I thought it was kind of rude to speak in another language when other people are around, but I didn't say anything.  

I will assume that they are not talking about me.  Stop being paranoid.

Starting Over: This is an old TV show that I found on One Network (Telus channel 349) in 2014.  I had free preview for it and then I got to watch more episodes in 2017.  Then it stopped airing in 2017.  This week I checked and it airs on Mon-Fri. 1pm and 6pm (same episode).  I love this show because it's about self- development.

"Six women move into the "Starting Over" house to seek the help of two life coaches to achieve a goal while living under the same roof."


Brittany Carmichael: If you want to get more out of life, you don't need to do more, you need to appreciate more.

My opinion: I'm writing about old TV and movie reviews.  I am re-watching them in a way.

I'm rereading some old news articles saved onto my email/ blog, before I send/ post it.

I don't buy things to own.  I appreciate what I already own.

Instead of watching, reading, or doing something new: Let's appreciate all the things you've already done. 

I then found this on Facebook.  My friend Krista posted it and I shared it:

Image may contain: text

No comments:

Post a Comment