Sunday, November 17, 2019

Faster/ Lakeview Terrace/ The Saga of the Jack of Spades

Sept. 23, 2019 Faster: I saw this move in 2017.

"An ex-con gets on a series of apparently unrelated killings. He gets tracked by a veteran cop with secrets of his own and an egocentric hit man."

Why did you watch this?: It's an action movie.  Oliver Jackson- Cohen (from the Dracula TV series and the Emerald City TV series) was in it.

Pros:

1. There was a good opening.  Driver (Dwayne Johnson) is released from prison.  He then starts killing random people.  If you watch more of it, you learn the people on his list had hurt him and his loved ones.

2. The cast:

Dwayne Johnson as the Driver is good.

Billy Bob Thornton as Cop is good.

Oliver Jackson-Cohen as Killer is good.  He kind of looks like Jake Gyllenhaal.

Carla Gugino as Det. Cicero is good.  She was on Wayward Pines

3. There is good writing and a deeper story.  A gang of people attacked Driver and his brother Gary.  

Who was behind this?

There is a bad guy who later becomes a good guy afterwards by turning into an evangelist.   I like that.


The dialogue:

Warden: You are only good when you are at one with yourself.  You didn't ask for trouble, but you didn't back down from it either.

Radio: Hate is like a chain that will lead you to places you don't want to go.  It will only lead you to your destruction.

I will put that in my inspirational quotes.

4. There was some action like a car chase scene, a fight, and a shoot out.  There wasn't a lot of action with lots of fight scenes.


Cons: None.

My opinion: The movie was average.  There is a low chance I would watch it again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1433108/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Oct. 23, 2019 Lakeview Terrace: I saw this movie in Jun. 2016.

"Based on a true story, a troubled and racist African-American L.A.P.D. Officer will stop at nothing to force out a friendly interracial couple who just moved in next door to him."

Why did you watch this?: Patrick Wilson was in it.  He's handsome.  The story sounds interesting.

Pros:

1. The cast.  Patrick Wilson is Chris Mattson and he's married to Lisa Mattson (Kerry Washington).

Samuel L. Jackson is the cop/ bad guy Abel in this movie.  He has a 16 yr old daughter and a 12 yr old son.

Jay Hernandez (he was on the teen sitcom Hang Time and the reboot of Magnum P.I) and he's Abel's cop partner Javier.

2. There is good writing with lots of drama, conflict, and tension.  It starts small with Abel and his light being bright and turning it on at the Mattson's residence.

There is vandalism at the Mattson's residence.

Abel starts trouble by holding a bachelor party at his house. 

Abel pulls this big stunt on Mattson's house, but things go wrong.  

It leads to a big finale at the end. 

3. There are a couple of conversations about interracial dating.

4. The whole time the audience wants to know why Abel is so against the Mattsons.  Towards the last half of the movie, Abel explains to Chris about what happened 3 yrs ago.  Abel is projecting his anger onto this couple.

Cons: None.

My opinion: The movie was good at best, and average at worst.  I would be open to watching that movie again.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0947802/?ref_=rvi_tt

Bad neighbors in dramas: I wrote about this TV movie called A Friend of the Family.  This is based on a true story:


"After she narrowly escaped rape by attackers in Toronto, artist Alison Shaw and her devoted hunky husband Darris, a construction worker, move to a rural small town in Ontario and nest a dream home. The locals are welcoming, especially David Snow, who makes Darris his partner in an Antiques business and gallery for her art, but then she believes David is the serial killer behind a number of murders on women looking rather like her- given his excellent reputation, nobody believes her. Even after they move to Vancouver, her obsession remains focused and Darris had had enough..."

https://badcb.blogspot.com/2012/01/tired-tv-dialogue-funny-video-friend-of.html


Bad neighbors in comedies:

The Simpsons: Does anyone remember when former president George Bush moved across the street from The Simpsons?  Bart destroys Bush's memoirs and he spanks Bart.

Homer: He spanked you?
Bart: I begged him to stop, but he said it was for the good of the nation.

I never saw these movies:

Neighbors:

"After they are forced to live next to a fraternity house, a couple with a newborn baby do whatever they can to take them down." 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2004420/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising:

"When their new next-door neighbors turn out to be a sorority even more debaucherous than the fraternity previously living there, Mac and Kelly team with their former enemy, Teddy, to bring the girls down."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4438848/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Nov. 15, 2019:

1 comment:



Charles said...
Nice to see newer reviews, I’ll be trying EVIL and Emergence too.


Tracy said...
Hi Charles

Thanks for the comment. However, those Fall 2019 TV season are just one line reviews. I will be writing more in detail later on where I list all the pros and cons.

https://badcb.blogspot.com/2019/09/avatar-gone-girl-breakout-fall-2019-tv.html


Nov. 15, 2019 The Saga of the Jack of Spades: There was a comic book launch at Audrey's book store last night.  I attended it and met up with the writer Chase Kantor.  I have met him before at the Filmmakers Meetup and he invited me on Facebook events.  I went there to support him and eat some food like cheese, meat, and crackers, and veggies and dip.

I also did some shopping at the store.  We all talked about how we were kind of sad that the Chapters on Whyte Ave closed down.

You can buy the comic book here:

https://www.amazon.ca/Saga-Jack-Spades-1/dp/1988903580

My week:

Sun. Nov. 10, 2019 Work: I was waiting for the bus to go to my 1st restaurant job.  I get to the bus stop 6 min. early before the bus was to arrive.  The bus was 24 min. late.  When I got on the bus, I see the screen and it was 7 min. late.  It must be for the one that was to come after the bus I was waiting for.  It was like -10 out there.

It turns out we have 100 people in total for reservations.  Last Remembrance Day long weekend, on a Sun. night, it wasn't busy.  We did have a full staff and we were running around.

Mon. Nov. 11, 2019 I want a used Microsoft PC computer that works: Today I started emailing on Facebook to all my friends about that.  I noticed I have done that before when I wanted:

An old lawn chair: In 2018, and after awhile I bought one on sale for $20.

An old computer monitor: In 2017, and I recycled the 2 monitors at Staples because they didn't work.  My dad bought a new one.

An old keyboard: In 2019, my friend Cham gave me her old one.

A job: There were some leads on job ads that I applied to.  It was from 2017-2019.


The Grace Foundation: I found this old pen with charity on it:

Vision & Mission

Our Vision


The vision of The Grace Foundation is the realization of Terra Nova – a culture beyond fear, war and cruelty characterized by the recognition that all life is inter-connected and all life is sacred. A state we call love.

Our Mission


In response to the current global crisis The Grace Foundation raises funds and engages people with resources (money, knowledge, influence) to invest in a system change. We call for a sacred alliance of planetary change agents to take responsibility for the humane direction of human evolution now at this crucial time. We further the creation of Terra Nova by supporting a network of comprehensive cultural models which we call healing biotopes. These centers aim to be self-sufficient thus laying the base for an alternative economy, decentralized and free from the conventional mechanisms of interest, debt and exploitation. This alternative economy is key to humanizing money. We support the implementation of this network by funding education and knowledge-sharing.

We Promote…


  • Ecological and economic sustainability through regional self-sufficiency in water, food and energy,
  • Social sustainability through community-building based on truth, mutual support and responsible participation, and
  • Spiritual sustainability through realizing human potential in co-operation with the Divine, in gratitude for the miracle of life.

 Tues. Nov. 12, 2019 Alex Trebek gets choked up by 'Jeapordy'!' contestant answer: 


Jeopardy! host Alex Trebek was nearly overcome with emotion during Monday’s show when contestant Dhruv Gaur had no chance of winning in Final Jeopardy, and, in place of an answer, wrote, “We (heart) You, Alex.” Trebek’s initial reaction was one of surprise, and he was clearly getting choked up as he tried to continue as usual. All three contestants were also wearing purple ribbons in support of Trebek, who is battling Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

It didn’t take long for #WeLoveYouAlex to begin trending, and it was obvious that Trebek wasn’t the only one who was moved by Gaur’s message.
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/alex-trebek-gets-choked-up-following-jeopardy-contestants-answer-050217914.html

My opinion: The audience laughs and says "Aww...."


Nov. 13, 2019 "Nurse 'adopts' homeless man so he can get a heart transplant": Today I found this article on Facebook:



Jonathan Pinkard desperately needed a heart transplant.
But Pinkard was homeless, and he did not have a support system to help care for him after a transplant — and that disqualified him from the waiting list for a new heart.
“It was a pretty scary situation to be in,” said Pinkard, 27, who had been living in a men’s shelter and working as an office clerk in Warm Springs, Ga. “I had no idea what I was going to do."


Then in December — four months after he learned he needed a new heart — Pinkard landed in the hospital again, but this time he was assigned to nurse Lori Wood. He was her patient for two days at Piedmont Newnan Hospital when she figured out what was going on and stunned him with a remarkable offer: He could move in with her. She could become his guardian and look after him.
“I couldn't believe that somebody who had known me only two days would do this,” he said. “It was almost like a dream."

Wood, 57, who has been a nurse for 35 years, said she had never done anything like this before. She generally doesn’t blur the lines between her personal life and her professional work at the hospital, which is about 40 miles from Atlanta. But something about Pinkard was different. He didn’t have anybody in the world looking out for him — and that was standing between him and a new heart.

“That can be very frustrating if you know a patient needs something, and for whatever reason they can’t have it,” she said. “It gnaws at you.”

She said her frustration grew when there were medical tests he needed to have but he wasn’t getting them because he wasn’t a candidate for a new heart.
“At some point, God places people in situations in your life, and you have a choice to do something about it,” she said. “For me, there was no choice. I’m a nurse; I had an extra room. It was not something I struggled with. He had to come home with me.”
So the day Pinkard was discharged, Wood loaded him into her car and brought him to her home, where she lives with one of her three grown sons, Austin Wood, at their farmhouse in Hogansville, about an hour south of Atlanta.
Pinkard had nothing more than a cellphone to his name. Wood bought him a new bedroom set and told him, ‘I want you to make this room your own. I want you to feel at home.’"
“She’s been ‘Mama’ to me since January,” said Pinkard, who underwent a successful seven-hour heart transplant on Aug. 1 and is expected to be cleared to return to work soon.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2019/11/09/nurse-adopts-homeless-man-she-just-met-so-he-can-get-heart-transplant/?fbclid=IwAR0CGhlJ8xXgKW-HEbP_CSlzsGyo9xO3LQXv_cUvVTEw1OYI6BxeFOHeaCQ

40 secrets to a happier life: I read a few and put it on Facebook:





https://www.msn.com/en-ca/lifestyle/smart-living/how-to-be-happy-40plus-secrets-to-a-happier-life/ss-BBWEGtN?ocid=spartandhp#image=5

My opinion: A diary and my blog are the same thing. 

Nov. 14, 2019 Bank complaint: I have to write about it so I can get over it and move on.  Last month I got my check from my 2nd restaurant job.  It was dated for tomorrow, but I deposited it into the bank machine anyway because it was both business days.  Also it was 3pm (the middle of the business day and not like it was going to close).

A couple of weeks later, it says the check didn't go through because I deposited a day before.  I called the bank customer service line and they told me I have to go to my boss about it.

I told my boss M and I have to pay her $25 because it cost her that much to stop and reissue the check.  I will pay for it because it was my mistake.  There was bank email that had a survey about the customer service phone line.  I told them they were helpful, but wrote about the above complaint about depositing 1 day early.

Lesson: Deposit the check the day of the date.


"If Legend is sexiest man alive, ugly guys have it made": Today I found this article by Vinay Menon in the Star Metro: In it he compares how last year Legend was compared too looking the fictional aardvark cartoon character Arthur (without his glasses on).

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/opinion/2019/11/13/if-john-legend-is-peoples-sexiest-man-alive-ugly-guys-like-me-have-it-made.html

John Legend looks like Arthur here: He kind of does.

https://time.com/5318564/chrissy-teigen-john-legend-arthur-meme-trolling/

Nathan MacIntosh: He is a comedian I saw on Comedy Now.  I was thinking about him and his joke today.

Nathan: Before you guys come up to me after the show and tell me I look like that guy from that TV show, I want to say this: Yeah, I know.  I look like Fry from Futurama.


http://nathanmacintosh.com/bio


No comments:

Post a Comment