Sunday, December 15, 2013

self-publishing rewrites rules/ Allie Brosh



This is from www.badcb.blogspot.ca

Dec. 4 Self-publishing: I cut out this article from the Edmonton Journal because it inspired me:

Self-publishing rewrites rules

Rookie author gets deals after putting her novels online

The Associated Press

Published: Friday, April 19, 2013

After a feverish month of inspiration, Colleen Hoover had finally fulfilled her dream of writing a book.
With family and friends asking to read the emotional tale of first love, the married mother of three young boys living in rural East Texas and working 11-hour days as a social worker decided to digitally self-publish on Amazon, where they could download it for free for a week.
"I had no intentions of ever getting the book published. I was just writing it for fun," said Hoover, who uploaded Slammed a year ago in January.

Soon after, people she didn't know were downloading the book - even after it was only available for a fee. Readers began posting reviews and buzz built on blogs. Missing her characters, she self-published the sequel, Point of Retreat, a month later.
By June, both books hit Amazon's Kindle top 100 bestseller list. By July, both were on The New York Times bestseller list for ebooks. Soon after, they were picked up by Atria Books, a Simon & Schuster imprint. By fall, she had sold the movie rights.

"I wasn't expecting any of this at all. And I'm not saying I don't like it, but it's taken a lot of getting used to," said the 33-year-old Hoover, who quit her job last summer to focus on writing.
Hoover is both a story of self-published success in the digital age and of the popularity of so-called New Adult books, stories featuring characters in their late teens and early 20s.

When Hoover finished her third book, Hopeless, in December, she initially turned down an offer from Atria and decided to digitally self-publish again. By January, that book, too, was a New York Times bestseller and she signed that month with Atria to publish the print version, but kept control of the electronic version.

In February, Atria bought the digital and paperback rights to two upcoming books from Hoover: This Girl, the third instalment in the Slammed series, set for release digitally later this month, and Losing Hope, a companion novel to Hopeless to be published digitally in July.
Even after being able to quit her job, Hoover said it wasn't until a book signing she organized with other indie authors in Chicago in the fall that her popularity began to sink in.

"I remember coming down the stairs and there was this huge line with hundreds of people and someone goes, 'There's Colleen Hoover,' and they all start freaking out," she said. "That was, I think, the first moment that it hit me that this was way bigger than I thought."

http://www2.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/archives/story.html?id=f63cd0e1-1f69-40ad-870b-9e9f47b221eb

Imagination: It’s time to use my imagination.  I met authors at the Chapters store in West Ed mall.  I only go there to go shopping, not to meet an author.  What if I set up a table there like those authors did?
Cut to Tracy sitting at a table.  A guy comes up to her.
Guy: Hi Tracy, I’m a big fan of your blog.  I like your fun emails the best.  Can you autograph my favorite blog post of yours?
Tracy: Yeah, sure.
Tracy autographs the post “The Listener/ Tori Kelly/ self-deprecating and funny.”

http://badcb.blogspot.ca/2013/11/the-listener-tori-kelly-self.html

That is so unrealistic.  Who autographs blog posts?  There are famous bloggers like The Book of Awesome author Neil Pasricha.  He probably autographed the book than a blog post.

Omar Mouallem: As I was writing this blog post, the Edmonton Public Library writer-in- residence/ old classmate of mine emailed me back on my Rain outline.  He was kind of harsh, but he was telling his plain opinion on it.  It did inspire me because he questioned the story.

On Labor Day weekend, he wrote a book in 3 days.  I’m sure I can finish my script.

Book Publishers Association of Alberta: I checked my blog and it turns out I didn’t write about them.  This is what they are: 

“The Book Publishers Association of Alberta (BPAA) is a provincial association of book publishing companies and is one of the strongest communities of regional publishers in North America. The BPAA was founded in 1975 to support the development of strong publishing houses, away from Canada's traditional centres of publishing. Today the BPAA has more than 30 members, many of which are owned and operated in the province of Alberta.

We are a regional affiliate of the Association of Canadian Publishers (ACP).
The BPAA responds to all questions from its members, the public, media and industry, on matters to do with publishing.”
http://www.bookpublishers.ab.ca/

Dec. 6 TV production company: Remember in 2012 I wrote about how I applied to TV production companies?  I did back in 2008 and did one job interview at one and didn’t get hired.  In 2003-2004 I did try to get an internship at TV production companies.  It was when I was upgrading.  One company called back and told me they only hire NAIT’s TV program students.

The thing is I did try that path before, but I wasn’t able to get in.

Dec. 7 Sun Media: I read that they laid off 200 people.  They also sold 74 newspapers to one of their rivals, but the Competition Bureau has to give a confirmation first.

Comparisons: This is a real life comparison.  I was thinking about how publishing companies and staffing agencies are the middle-man.  You don’t need a staffing agency to help you get a job.  You can go straight to the company that is hiring and apply there.

A publishing company is a middle-man because there is self-publishing.  Self-publishing has always been around, but it’s more popular these days because of e-books.

Blogger: I’m a blogger so I’m the writer, editor, and publisher all in one.

Allie Brosh: I read the article “A candid picture of depression” by Zosia Beilski in the Globe and Mail on Nov. 1, 2013.  It’s about mental health, but it also fits into this email because she’s a blogger and cartoonist.  In the article she talks about her depression and not being able to do the simplest things like returning a DVD.  

Her cartoons are “using a simple paint software for Mac.”  

I do like the picture of a unicorn on her “About” page.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/p/about.html

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ca/

No comments:

Post a Comment