Thursday, May 31, 2018

fall 2017 TV season reviews (Part 2)

May 17, 2018 SWAT: 


"Follows a locally born and bred S.W.A.T. lieutenant who is torn between loyalty to the streets and duty to his fellow officers when he's tasked to run a highly-trained unit that's the last stop for solving crimes in Los Angeles."

Pros: 

1. There is good action and lots of it.  The first scene was of the SWAT team chasing some arms dealers.  There is a shoot out, chasing, jumping over the fence, and running on roofs.  A helicopter comes.

I even said to the bad guys: Split up!

They then did.

I loved the beginning so much that after the pilot, I rewatched the first scene.

2. There is good writing.  There is lots of drama, conflict, and tension as the team have to save lives.  There is lots of suspense.

3. There is good acting by Hondo (Shemar Moore from Criminal Minds).  I felt emotional as he talks to a victim at the hospital.

4. They dealt with race and police.  

5. There was a motorcycle chase scene and it was fun to watch.

6. There are surprises.

Spoiler alert: A white guy gets shot at the rally.

Spoiler alert: The new recruit Jim (Alex Russel) says that Buck put his mom in jail.

7. There is good ethnic diversity.

Cons: None.

My opinion: It was good and all, but I didn't watch it again.

Wisdom of the Crowd:

"A tech innovator creates a cutting-edge crowd-sourcing hub to solve his own daughter's murder, as well as revolutionizing crime solving in San Francisco."

Pros: 

1. The idea was good to solve his daughter's murder.  It was realistic too.  We do have an Amber Alert for missing kids.

2. The dialogue is good:

"From humble beginnings, come big things."

"People want to be part of something meaningful."

3. There are good surprises:

Spoiler alert: They get hacked.

Cons: None.

Comparisons:

Technology and crime- fighting put together:


APB: Does anyone remember this show came out in mid- season 2017?


"After witnessing a violent crime, a tech billionaire purchases a troubled police precinct, rebooting it as a private police force."

Frankie Drake Mysteries:

"The series follows Frankie Drake, a female private detective operating in Toronto in the 1920s."

Pros:

1. If you like private investigation shows like Angel and Veronica Mars, you may like this. Or mysteries.

2. The characters are mainly women and likeable.  It has Lauren Lee Smith from The Listener in it.

3. Surprises.

Spoiler alert: Frankie meets her mom.

Cons: None.

My opinion: It was good, but I didn't really find it interesting. 

Inhumans:

"An isolated community of superhumans fight to protect themselves."

1. The show had it's own world with it's own sets, costumes.

2. Good fight scenes.  There were some good action sequences.

3. The dialogue:

"The difficulties strengthen the mind, as well as labor does the body."

I should put that in my inspirational quotes.

4. Ethnic diversity.

Cons: 

1. It was boring.

Comparisons: 

A group of people going on one planet to another:

Flash Gordon: 

Hometown Celebrity Steven "Flash" Gordon discovers a secret his father tried desperately to keep hidden. He then embarks on a journey to another dimension in hopes of finding his father who was believed to be killed in a fire. Flash becomes involved with the struggles of Planet Mongo. A tyrannical leader controls the only source of clean water on the planet. Flash makes many allies during his struggles leading to a Revolution.


epcnb86

My opinion: I watched the first 2 eps that aired together and then I never watched it again.

Star Trek: Discovery:

"Ten years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise, the USS Discovery discovers new worlds and lifeforms as one Starfleet officer learns to understand all things alien."

Pros:

1. It was a good production, scenery, special effects.

2. Ethnic diversity.

3. There is drama, conflict, and tension when characters are in danger.

4. Good dialogue.

Sarek: When emotions bring us ghosts from the past, only logic can root us in the present.

I should put this in my inspirational quotes.

Cons: It was very boring.  It was like one of the most boring pilots I ever watched. 

My opinion: I never watched it again.

The Gifted:


"In a world where mutated humans are treated with distrust and fear, an institute for mutants battles to achieve peaceful co-existence with humanity."

Pros:

1. There is lots of drama, conflict, and tension with the family going on the run.

2. There is good actors dad Stephen Moyer (True Blood), Amy Acker (Angel), son Percy Hynes White (Between) and Natalie Alyn Lind.

3. Ethnic diversity.

4. The Stan Lee cameo.

5. The special effects of the super powers.  It's exciting to watch.

Cons: None.

Comparisons:

A family on the run: It was done on the TV movie Family in Hiding:

My opinion: It was average.  I probably would have liked this show more if I was teen.  I never watched it again.

May 25, 2018: I'm writing so much about TV because the shows season finales are ending.  Also all these shows are getting renewed or cancelled.  Also I have been reading these new falls shows that will be coming.


My week:


May 25, 2018 Tru Space:

Truspace believes every business is unique, which is why we work closely with you to gain a deep understanding of your company – from its goals and needs to its people and culture. Once we have a true understanding of your business, we create a tailored solution that not only addresses your company’s immediate needs but will also fulfil your business’s future needs.
May 27, 2018 "Kevin Federline wants Britney Spears to pay him $60K a month": I'm writing about this because it's about finance and jobs.
Yeah, I'm writing about this again.

Finances:
Does he rent or own a home?
How much is the rent or mortgage?
Does his wife have a job?
How much money are they spending on food?

Does his ex-fiancé who he has 2 kids with have a job?
Does his ex-fiancé have a partner who works?

I don't know about his whole financial situation.  It's not like the Financial Facelift column in the Globe and Mail where they profile one person, a couple, or a family if they can retire or when, or how to retire.

Careers: It says KFed is a DJ.  Have he ever thought of being a dance teacher?

He was a back up dancer for Britney Spears, that is a good credit and looks good on a dance teacher resume.  He was also in the Pink music video "Get this Party Started."
I didn't know this until the Pop Up Video showed it.  In the 2min 35 sec part it's KFed in a blue track suit dancing.
The thing is, though he can be a dance teacher, does he really want to be?
Also, do people want to learn dancing from him?

I endorse that he's a good dancer, but some people just don't like him or is a fan of his.

He needs to talk to a career counselor. 

May 29, 2018 Shane Sparks: I would learn dancing from him.  He was a judge for So You Think You Can Dance and America's Best Dance Crew.  I even saw him on the TV show Starting Over.

However, I just checked up on him and it seems he spent some time in jail.

Blake McGrath: He was on So You Think You Can Dance, and is a judge on So You Think You Can Dance Canada.  I auditioned for So You Think You Can Dance Canada in 2009.  He saw me dance for 30 sec.  I wrote about it on my blog.

He was a dancer for Spears and was in Janet Jackson's "So Excited" music video.  He was in the 2min 28 sec part of the video where he touches Jackson's butt.  Jackson then waves her finger at him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHaEgO1FMeA


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blake_McGrath
Self-awareness:

The woman who dances like a little girl: It was in SYTYCD in 2006.  This show came out in 2005.  In my teens and early 20s I loved dance.  I liked watching these shows.  It's not until 2010 I stopped watching these shows.  I still like dancing, but not enough to watch these shows.

This blond woman who was overweight comes to audition.  It was contemporary ballet dance.  She had her blond hair in a bun.  She was wearing a black halter top and black tights that were halfway below the knee.  I'm describing it because maybe some of you may want to try to find the video on YouTube.

Mary Murphy: This looks like something I would see 5 and 6 yr olds would perform at a children's dance recital.

My opinion: I thought the same thing.

The woman said she had 13 yrs of dance lessons and this is what she had to show for it.  She was wasting time, effort, and money into this.  If you like dancing, you can if you want to.  She did say she saw the show on and off, and she really thought she can get on the show.  The woman talked to the camera and was indifferent about the judge's criticism.

Math: That's the thing with dancing and arts, it's subjective.  Here's something objective.  It's like looking at a student's grades:

Applied Math 20 (2nd to lowest math class in gr. 11): 52%
Applied Math 30 (2nd to lowest math class in gr. 12): 50%.
Pure Math 30 (grade level average in gr. 12): 63%.

The other core subjects like science, English, and social studies are B and C.
Then it's like having that student apply to the STEM fields in any of the colleges.

Of course the student isn't going to get accepted.  If you want to get accepted into the STEM fields, you have to an A in math and/ or science in gr. level.  Also have As in nearly all core subjects.

The woman's dancing was poor and would not get onto SYTYCD at all.  This student's grades would not get accepted into STEM at all.

Jobs: I was talking to this life coach advisor Bill at Achieve Today.  It was free consultation on the phone.  I told him about my job search to be an administrative assistant and sent my resume.

Bill: Are you qualified?

I would say yes.  
I have a 2yr college diploma in Professional Writing:  I know how to write business letters and proposals.

I have worked at the Office Job in 2013 which is a call centre.  I explain to people how to read their bills and take payments over the phone.

I have worked at the Home Installation place in 2015.  I answer phones, take payments, and schedules.

I attended 2 classes at the Office Assistant program.  A business communication class and a Microsoft Word 2010 class. 

May 26,2018: I went to work and then there was a 2hr meeting.

May 30, 2018 Finance tip: My dad told me that I had 2 banks.  I should transfer everything to 1 bank as in the one I use the most.  I did that.  Fortunately there are a lot of banks in downtown so I can walk back and forth to each.

I remember reading a Financial Facelift column where one woman had accounts at 3 banks.  The tip was to put it into 1 or 2.

Consolidate all finances to 1 bank.

May 30, 2018 Roseanne's TV show cancelled: Roseanne made an offensive racist tweet and then her show got cancelled over it.  At least she apologized.

It kind of reminds me of the time when I accidentally offended my friend when I made a joke about one of her interests.  I have apologized to her.

Lessons:

1. Don't make jokes about race, gender, sex, sexual orientation, religion and politics.

2. Stop and think about before posting.  Ask friends and family if it seems offensive to them or may be offensive to other people.




No comments:

Post a Comment