Friday, February 26, 2016

Fall 2015 TV season (part 2)/ Mid-season 2016

This is on my www.badcb.blogspot.ca:


Dec. 26, 2015 Fall 2015 TV season (part 2): Here are some more TV shows I watched and here are my reviews:

The Grinder:

Pros:

1. It does have big actors like Rob Lowe (Parks and Recreation) and Fred Savage (The Wonder Years.)

2. The premise does sound kind of interesting:

"Television lawyer Dean Sanderson moves back to his small home town after a stint in Hollywood thinking his time on TV qualifies him to run his family's law firm."


Jan. 13, 2016:

3. The ethnic diversity.  There is a Latino couple that Stewart (Fred Savage) has to go to court for.  There is an East Indian guy lawyer and a Latino woman judge.

My opinion: I'm not a fan of sitcoms, so after I watched the pilot, I never watched it again.  This sitcom is average.  If you like sitcoms and the actors, then watch the pilot to see if you like it.

Supergirl: I watched the pilot.  I knew there was a high chance I was going to watch the pilot and not watch it again.  That's what happened.  I really wanted to see what the show was like.  On imdb.com:

"The adventures of Superman's cousin in her own superhero career."


Jan. 15, 2016:

Pros:

1. The cast: The actress Melissa Benoist is alright as the lead Kara, pronounced Kar- a.  If you like Calista Flockhart (Ally McBeal) as her boss.

I will give points for casting Jimmy Olson with a black actor Mehcad Brooks.  (He was on Desperate Housewives season 2.  Remember of a single black woman with her son.  Then it turns out they have a man chained in their basement?) 

I haven't seen creative casting since Lucy Lui, a woman to play Joan Watson on the Sherlock Holmes TV show Elementary.

Also Owain Yeoman (from The Mentalist) plays a bad guy for this one ep.

The characters are likable.

2. I do like the origin of Supergirl on how she was supposed to protect Superman.  However, he already got to Earth and grew up without her.  Now she can go on her own.

Cons:

I didn't really find it interesting to me.

The Romeo Section: This is on CBC.  Here's the imdb.com:

"Lies, corruption, murder - welcome to the world of The Romeo Section where spies are recruited to seduce for secrets."


I watched it because I thought it might be like Alias.  It is not.

Pros:

1. It did kind of remind me of the mini-series Dragon Boys.


2. It was well-shot.

Cons:

1. There is a lot of profanity, sexuality, nudity.  There is too much smoking.  It was too dark for me.

My opinion: It didn't really interest me and I never watched it again.

Fall 2014 TV season: Right now it's mid- season for TV.  I need to mitigate my excitement by writing about some other TV shows.  I didn't write about the following TV shows because I busy with work and taking 2 college classes in the fall.

How to Get Away with Murder: I saw the pilot and then I never watched it again.  The title sounded really interesting. 

"A group of ambitious law students and their brilliant criminal defense professor become involved in a twisted murder plot that promises to change the course of their lives."


Pros:

1. The only character I liked was Wes (Alfred Enoch).  The only law student of the bunch.  The others were kind of "eh" as in I felt indifferent about them.

2. There is good ethnic diversity of African-Americans and I saw an Asian man.

3. There is good writing and how things were slowly revealed.

4. There is a good mystery of: Whose body are they burying?  How did they get to this situation?  Who killed this missing girl?

5. I did like this one part where the professor Annalise is asking Wes a question.  He paused.  Laurel (Karla Souza) then tells the answer.

Annalise: You should never take a chance away from someone to learn something just so you can show off how smart you are.

My opinion: Yeah.

I wrote about this before, but it reminded me of The Simpsons where Bart is struggling to read a big word on the chalkboard.  Martin has his hand raised and is anxiously hoping to be called on.

I was in like gr. 3 when I was watching it and I didn't know how to read the word.  My sister was in gr. 5 and says: "It's photosynthesis."

Cut back to the show:

Finally Martin says the answer.

Martin: It's photosynthesis!

Cut back to my basement.  I thought: "S got that one right."

I had questions after watching the Murder pilot, but I wasn't intrigued enough to watch it to get my questions answered.

Gracepoint: This was a mini-series of 10 episodes.

"When a young boy is found dead on an idyllic beach, a major police investigation gets underway in the small California seaside town where the tragedy occurred. Soon deemed a homicide, the case sparks a media frenzy, which throws the boy's family into further turmoil and upends the lives of all of the town's residents."


Pros:

1. The cast: It has big actors like David Tennant (Broadchurch, the original British show that Gracepoint bases this show on) and Anna Gunn (Breaking Bad).  Kevin Zegers (Gossip Girl) and Jessica Lucas (the Melrose Place reboot).

There is good acting from the actors as they find out about the death.

2. A good mystery of: Who killed the boy Danny and why?

Does it have anything to do with Danny's 11 yr old friend Tom (Jack Irvine)?  He deleted messages off cellphone and computer after he heard Danny died.

My opinion: The show was good and all, but I didn't really connect with the characters.  I wasn't intrigued enough to solve the mystery and get my questions answered.

There are only 10 episodes, so if you watch the pilot, you can decided to watch the rest of it.  It won't take too much time.  I watched the pilot and never watched it again.


Constantine: I have seen the 2005 movie with Keanu Reeves.  It was a good supernatural movie.  I would have to rate it as average.


Now here is the TV show:

"A man struggling with his faith is haunted by the sins of his past but is suddenly thrust into the role of defending humanity from the gathering forces of darkness."


Pros:

1. The actor Matt Ryan playing the lead.  He was on Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior.  He is a good actor.  After Constantine got cancelled after 1 season, his character went on to the TV show Arrow for one episode.

2. There is good action and special effects.

My opinion: The show was good and all, but I didn't connect with the characters.

Stalker: It's from CBS and it seems like Criminal Minds from the promos.  I had to check it out:

"A team of detectives investigates stalkers in Los Angeles."


Pros:

1. The actors: You got big names like Maggie Q (star of the TV show Nikita) and Dylan McDermott (from the show Hostages).

It had a good opening with Torrey DeVitto (Dr. Meredith on The Vampire Diaries) with her being attacked.  There is a subplot with the actor Darren Kagasoff from the bad TV show Secret Life of the American Teenager.  He is a good actor.

2. Good writing: The opening scene was really scary as Kate is stuck in her car and she is forced to roll her car down a hill.  It rolls and blows up.

There is another scene where a woman is being attacked in an elevator.

I jumped when there was an attack at the home.

3. The stats: 6 million people are stalked.  1 in 6 women and 1 in 19 men.  Celebrity stalking is 10% of all cases.

4. Kind of funny where McDermott's character Jack says: "I watched all stalker movies like Fatal Attraction and Swimfan."

5. I have to give them points because Jack is examining a house: "There's bad feng shui here.  She puts her bed to look at the door in time."  He mentioned feng shui and I'm interested in that.  I'm sure some of you guys are laughing at this part.

6. Good characters like Beth and how she is a strong woman and a good detective.  Jack is stalking his ex-wife and how he was with the Deputy Chief's wife.


My opinion: It was good and all, but I didn't really connect with it.  It only lasted 1 season.

Feb. 26 Mid-season 2016:

Shades of Blue: I saw the pilot and I liked it.  I then recorded all the following episodes to watch it later.  This is a crime- drama.

"The series stars Jennifer Lopez as the main character Harlee Santos, a single-mother NYPD officer, who is forced to work in the FBI's anti-corruption task force, whilst dealing with her own financial problems."


Second Chance: I saw the pilot and I liked it.  I then recorded all the following episodes to watch it later.  This is more of a crime-drama, but with a sci-fi twist to it.

"A billionaire and a bioengineer bring a dead police officer back to life."


Lucifer: I saw the pilot and then I never watched it again.  It's the usual pair -up like Castle.  A unconventional guy teams up with a straight-laced woman cop to solve crime.
 
"Satan takes up residence in Los Angeles."


The X-Files: I saw the reboot of this show.  It's really season 10.  The show came out when I was in elementary school so I was too young for it.  Then when I was 14 yrs old, I saw a few episodes during the summer.  It was average.

I watched the reboot of the show because I am old enough to enjoy it.  There are only 6 episodes too.


The Magicians: I got a free preview of Showcase in Jan.  So I saw the first 2 episodes of this show.  It's good and unpredictable.  I didn't watch it after the 2 eps.  You can go on showcase.ca to watch it.  If you like fantasy and Harry Potter, you'll like this.

"After being recruited to a secretive academy, a group of students discover that the magic they read about as children is very real-and more dangerous than they ever imagined."


DC Legends of Tomorrow: I watched the 2- part pilot.  I knew there was a high chance I was going to watch the pilot and never watch it again.  I was right.  It had all these characters from Arrow and The Flash put together.

"Focuses on time-traveling rogue Rip Hunter, who has to recruit a rag-tag team of heroes and villains to help prevent an apocalypse that could impact not only Earth, but all of time."



The Family: Yesterday I was watching my recorded show Arrow.  There was this promo and I thought it was an ep for Criminal Minds.  Then it turns out it's for this new show on CTV on Wed.:

"A community is rattled when a politician's son, who was presumed murdered years ago, returns home."

I have to watch the pilot.





No comments:

Post a Comment