Wednesday, February 20, 2013

writer rant/ Do No Harm

This is from www.badcb.blogspot.ca:

Feb. 9 Writer rant: The EPL Writer in Residence Omar Mouallem said my Rain script was kind of predictable and the dialogue needed work.  I'm not mad about that, because lots of writers and producers have read it, and they all said that.

I guess I'm kind of mad, because Omar said I should start over.  Okay, I can take criticism, no problem.  I guess I have to write about it, to get over it.  Let's get to the bottom of this.  He said "start over" and I don't feel like I should have to start over.  I have done so many changes and rewrites at the beginning of the script.  In a period of 4 yrs, I would say this is the best 43 pages.

He should take a look at all the changes I made.  I mentioned it before in my other emails/ blog posts of: how the bad guys were supposed to be introduced the next day.  Then I decided to make it sooner, like that night.  This was in 2010.

In 2011, the EPL Writer in Residence Marty Chan read it, and said that first morning scene seemed arbitrary.  So I rewrote it, to straight to the night scene.

Feb. 13 Do No Harm: This show is like the modern version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.  It's about a doctor by day Dr. Jason Cole, and by night he becomes Ian Price.  I saw the first two episodes and I thought it was really good.  Today I read in the Globe and Mail's article by John Doyle that the show got cancelled. 

Here's some more info about it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/nbc-cancels-do-no-harm-417513

Me: What?  It got cancelled?  What about Elementary?  That show is the modern version of Sherlock Holmes and it came out in the fall.  It's doing well.  I only saw the pilot of that show, but I thought it was good.

I read the rest of the linked article, and it's not about old characters from novels being brought into modern times, it's about "dual- universe dramas":

"Do No Harm continues the broadcast networks' struggles with dual-universe dramas. Despite positive reviews, NBC canceled underperformer Awake after one season, and Fox axed Lone Star after two episodes. In 2008, NBC canceled Christian Slater's split-personality series My Own Worst Enemy after a handful of airings."

Writing article: I was checking up on The Golden Vanguard.  Their website was being remade and now I'm on the staff page.

I read the article "5 Ways You're Limiting Your Writing" by Jessica McHugh.

1. Ignoring your issues.
2. Writing is an ART, not a business.
3. Going against your gut.
4. Ignoring feedback.
5. Copying your favorite story.

http://thegoldenvanguard.ca/2013/02/10/5-ways-youre-limiting-your-writing/comment-page-1/#comment-103

I then left a comment at the end of the article:

"Hi, I really like your article.  Good advice and I already have taken some of it before like the line 'Trust your gut, and don’t be afraid to cut. But don’t throw those chunks away. Save them–for years, if need be. Just because you drop fat from one story doesn’t mean it won’t be the meat of another.'  (#3 tip). 

That happens a lot to me.  I write a scene and then think: "I like it, but it doesn't fit in this story" and I save it for another story.

I'm going to mention your article on my blog."

No comments:

Post a Comment